The Museum of Natural Science is looking to employ up to 30 people to research Native American tribes and to design museum displays. Researchers must be willing to implement the newly developed Time Machine which will assure the information is as authentic as possible.
Should you be apply for a position on this webquest, you and a team mate will utilize the resources found on the Internet to gather information about the Native American tribes.
What was the impact of the Native American tribes' interaction with the environment?
* In this WebQuest you will be
working in teams of two students from your class.
* Each team has several tasks to perform.
1. Teams will answer the task questions in order to gain information on the Native American tribes by examining the various websites as well as offline resources provided.
2. Teams will present the information learned using a Power Point presentation. The presentation must includes slides of the design of the museum room which will be dedicated to the tribe being
3. Teams must create a poster to display the design of the museum room.
4. Teams must provide a fact page for members of the class.
* Teams will be provided with three days to research and three days to prepare the Power Point presentation and the fact page.
student is also responsible for:
1. being a good audience during presentations
2. learning required information about each tribe
3. successfully completing the fact pages
4. successfully completing the test on the required information.
Task 1- Background: Something for Everyone
* Scientists believe that about 25,000 years ago humans were living in the Americas. About 11,000 years ago, large mammals became extinct forcing man to adapt by becoming hunter-gatherers. Eventually domestication of plants and animals occurred giving man a more stable food supply. The need to migrate diminished and people began to build permanent settlements. Farming allowed members of the community to stock spare food and therefore to have spare time. This enabled them to develop specialized jobs developing a more complex culture. This complex culture is known as a civilization.
Task 2- Roles
* One member of the team will answer questions 1, 2, and 3.
* The other member of the team will answer question 4.
* Both team members will be responsible for:
1. answering question 5
2. saving pictures to file for the purpose of designing the museum room.
3. creating the Power Point presentation
4. creating the poster of the museum room design
5. writing the fact page
1. What is the location where the tribe you are researching is located? Use a map to display.
2. How would you describe the environment your tribe lives in:
a. natural resources
b. climate- temperature (seasons), precipitation
3. What is the time frame your tribe lived during?
4. How would you describe the tribe's:
b. religious beliefs
e. migratory/settled communities/both
5. How would you describe how the tribe interacted with the environment
a. How did the environment impact the tribe?
b. How did the tribe impact the environment? Was the impact positive, negative, or neutral?
Support your statement.
following websites to aid you in your research.
tour of Sipapu-Chetro Ketl
HUNTERS OF THE NORTHWEST- ESKIMOS
NORTHWEST COAST TRIBES
Coast: belief systems, philosophy, practical knowledge
General information on Northwest Coast tribes
SOUTHWEST TRIBES- ZUNI, HOPI, PUEBLO
belief systems, philosophy, practical knowledge
General information on Southwest tribes
belief systems, philisophy, practical knowledge
General information on Plains Indians
NORTHEAST TRIBES- ALGONQUIN, IROQUOIAN
belief systems, philosophy, practical knowledge
General information on Northeast tribes
Task 3- The Sell
Your team must present the information you have researched and the display for the museum room you have designed to the curator of the Museum of Natural Science for approval. The information and the museum room design will be checked by the curator for historical accuracy and completeness of information. Your team has met with success if the material you present to the curator is accepted on behalf of the Museum of Natural Science.
Message from the curator of the Museum for
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for risking your life by traveling through time using the new Time Machine. The research on the Native American tribes that you've accomplished has proved priceless. The issue of how the Native American tribes interacted with the environment is an important one for us to appreciate. Thank you for the exciting and informative Power Point presentations.
The designs you created for the museum rooms dedicated to the tribes will be presented to the governor of the state. He will announce his choice of the winning design soon. Best of luck to all of you. The museum and I appreciate your great efforts and it will be a pleasure to showcase these remarkable room designs.